Can Clinton resurrect Jayhawk football?

by D. Micco
Now that A.D. has received a contract extension, we might as well get started on renovating our football team. That, of course, will begin with a coach. Beatty is not the coach for us. I can't wait to get rid of him. My choice for our Coach, as I've always said, is our own Clinton Bowen. He has stuck with us and we are damn lucky that he has not totally given up on us up at Mt. Oread. Do we even deserve him? I can't think of anybody more deserving than he.
I have never believed that while he held Interim positions he was never given a full opportunity to "be" the Head Coach. I felt that he did well his one year then we hired that fat, overweight, unhealthy and delirious Chucky Weis. That was a complete waste of 8 million or so dollars. So now we might as well pay this coach his millions and commit to Coach Bowen, before he leaves us forever. I think we already owe him a huge apology.
Next, K.U. Football has to start over. In order to generate fans, excitement and interest from local high school players, we are going to have to invest in top flight scheduling, similar to Troy State in the 1990's. We have no fans in the stands because the games are boring and we lose. So my idea is if we're going to lose then let's bring in Ohio State, Florida, 'Bama and the like. Putting people in the seats wil help out a lot! I hate playing directional schools and those teams that border on NAIA III level.
Since this is my first blog (ever) I will get this off my chest. I was very disappointed that we (K.U.) never got with Mark Richt as he left Georgia. I know he went to his Alma Mater, but damn we could have at least talked to him. I know we had just hired Beatty (who?) but this goes to show us the lackluster job of recruiting a coach. Mark Richt would have been perfect at K.U. BUT as I stated, we have the perfect guy right here in town and he's from here!
I believe that Clint Bowen would begin an entire Kansas (State of) High School universe. I enjoy watching super-talent from other states, but how about a development program which would take years to mature but would be something that would be beneficial to our program? Sort of like a farmer plants seeds for the future. If we do not develop a local system for recruiting in-state, I believe we are making the mistake of overlooking our own local talent. I want to win and I have pride in being born and raised Jayhawk. I bleed red. Unfortunately, I shed tears of blue...and where we stand with our scheduling leaves us to "and the skies are still cloudy all day..."
So here are my keys to success:
1. Hire Clint Bowen for 5 year contract
2. Schedule a massive Home Schedule
3. Get fans in the stands (recruit fans from small towns)
4. Get the Marching Band back to prominent status (I hate hearing Ozzy and Metallica getting the "Charge!" songs. Prerecorded music takes away from a traditionally talented Marching Band.)
5. Develop the tradition of being a Jayhawk ( not just football, but the total campus experience)
6. K.U. Staff visit Kansas Schools for presentations on KU. campus and schools
7. This will require a complete involvement on behalf of every unit at K.U. (since this is a family problem)
8. Get Big Jay and baby Jay on T.V. ( they are never in T.V. commercials with other mascots. We have the number One BEST mascots in the land. Certainly better than that purple pussie and that silly tiger we've had to deal with all these years.)
9. Make this a universal K.U. mission that overhauls the entire school. I feel stagnation.
10. I'd rather lose, but play well, against Florida State at K.U. than barely win against a Division II school. That leaves a useless taste in my mouth.
While I live out of state, I never for once give up my love, pride and devotion to the University of Kansas in its entirety. I equally support all of the schools and programs.
My dream is to have an athletic program that we can be proud of rather than loathe. Let's get on board with Defense and hire Clinton Bowen for our new Head Coach. Think local, act global. If we're going to give away millions of dollars, then let's take a chance on a local boy.
Go K.U.!

Comments